The BC NDP has released its budget update, so we brought back Prof Lindsay Tedds to bring a tax-economics eye to the discussion. Plus our usual quicktakes.
The Legislature is back in session and we’ve already seen sparks fly – within the BC Liberal party! Plus we check in on the state of the Vancouver byelections with a who’s who of the candidates in the race.
Thanks to University of Victoria’s School of Public Administration for coming on board as our first Premier sponsor! And thanks to everyone who helped us reach our next Patreon goal!
Our live show turned into an extended edition! In the first forty minutes, we talk to political scientist David Moscrop about the ongoing John A MacDonald naming controversies and the NDP leadership race. In the remainder of the show, we welcome the crew of Pod Keep Our Land to talk about the BC Liberals leadership race and the federal cabinet shuffle and shadow cabinet.
Thanks for helping make 50 episodes possible, we can’t wait to do more!
Evan Balgord, freelance journalist for CANADALAND and Torontoist, joins us to talk right wing extremism and anti-Muslim bigotry in BC and across Canada. Then we catch up on a smorgasbord of stories from BC and federal politics.
- The Rise of the Right – CANADALAND COMMONS
- Follow Evan on Twitter: @ebalgord
- BC government in surplus and Lindsay Tedds’ analysis
- Province won’t fund Victoria Commonwealth games bid
- BC Liberal Leadership polls: Insights West and Mainstreet
- Steffan Ileman’s petition to remove bike lanes and his “Hitler escaped to Argentina” article
- Greens to introduce ride-sharing legislation and calls for foreign buyer limits on ALR land
- John A MacDonald naming controversies in Ontario
- NDP leadership candidates in Quebec secularism row
- Duffy sues everyone for all the money
Ian and Scott are back together to catch up on all things BC and Canadian politics. Then they discuss the upcoming anti-racist march in Vancouver with two of the organizers of the rally.
The interview starts at 34:08.
Also: We have a special live episode coming up for our 50th episode! Join us at Yagger’s Downtown on August 31st at 7PM. More details to come and you can RSVP on Facebook or on EventBrite (if you hate Facebook)
- NDP fundraiser controversy
- Elections BC fundraising numbers
- NDP to fight Kinder Morgan which makes Jason Kenney grumpy
- Gordon Wilson got fired and sued
- NDP bans grizzly bear trophy hunt, sort of
- Pete “DigiBoy” Fry to run for Vancouver Greens in municipal byelection
- Victoria wants to waste money on Commonwealth Games and Vancouver on the World Cup
- Brad Wall quit
- NAFTA talks start
- PressProgress on Conservatives denouncing Rebel Media
- CANADALAND on who’s left Rebel